Monday, March 31, 2008

You get it...

So, one of my classroom children had one of those moments last week when she "just got it." I was going over a new standard of doubles and doubles plus one in math. I asked the kids what 6+6 was and without missing a beat, she said "12." Now, most of you are probably thinking that this is no big feat, but for this girl it is. She has been a struggler all year. Then, she procedes to go over the entire doubles family, just smiling away as she did it. I started to cry. She had it! It's one of those moments in the life of a teacher when you get so excited because holy moly... they ARE listening! I loved it. I say all this in movement into what this whole scenerio made me think of. So many times I get these "A-ha" moments with God. I really feel like God is like "duh Nikki, I have been trying to teach you this. I am so excited you finally got it!" If only I could have the faith of a child every day in every situation, my life would be so much easier. My classroom kids trust me whole-heartedly that I am going to teach them everything they need to know and even if I have already taught it before, they still listen like it's the first time, and learn something from it! Why can't I be like this?
I am reading a book called "Dangerous Wonder." It's all about finding your childlike faith. I was on the chapter about Wide-Eyed Listening and came across this quote. I absolutely loved it and wanted to share it with you. My prayer today is that we can all find God in our lives and love him with a childlike love.
"A four year old was overheard whispering into her newborn baby brother's ear, 'Baby,' she whispers, 'tell me what God sounds like. I am starting to forget.'"

No comments: